Medical Emergencies at College

In Blog by Suzanne Duncombe

What will you do if there is a medical emergency with your student at college?

If your student is away at college, and is 18 or older, a parents options are limited.  A hospital cannot release information on your student’s condition, nor can a parent make medical decisions on a student’s behalf.  Even if s student cannot communicate, a parent cannot access student financial accounts.

There are three legal forms that will be useful in such events:

Advanced Medical Directive – This form allows to plan a student’s health care ahead of time in the case of a student may be unable to make decisions themselves.

Health Care Agent Form – Appoints another person to make health care decisions on the student’s behalf.

Durable Power of Attorney for Financial Management – Gives another person the right to make financial decisions on the student’s behalf